What is the best way to mount a large monitor - on a table or a wall?
A large diagonal screen is a dream for many. When it becomes possible to implement it, users are faced with the problem of installation, because the serious dimensions of the monitor are not so easy to fit into the workspace and interior of the room. Logically, the question arises as to whether it is worth using a standard stand or is it better to purchase a separate Monitor arm. To do this, you need to decide where the monitor will be installed. The advantages and disadvantages of various solutions will be discussed later.
What are the stand for large diagonal monitors
The monitor comes with a stand, which most often has a removable device in case the owner decides to use a different mount. The complexity of the design and the possibility of adjustment are reflected in the price tag. It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to release the same monitor with several stands to provide the user with a choice and expand the range along the way.
Monitor mount ARM media LCD-T51 1 999 *
Advantages of a standard stand:
- out-of-the-box readiness and ease of assembly;
- quick installation;
- installation does not require special knowledge and tools (in most cases);
- effective continuation of the monitor design (especially in gaming models);
- ease of maintenance;
- does not require additional investments;
- no additional requirements for the installation site (only flat surface).
The weight of the monitor must be taken into account. Due to the size, the center of gravity sometimes shifts, and the monitor is not very stable. It may be easier to tip over a large diagonal monitor than smaller models. This situation is most acute for monitors with a curved screen.
Disadvantages of "native" coasters:
- not reliable and stable enough;
- average adjustment possibilities (at best);
- do not support the installation of an additional monitor;
- take up a lot of table space.
The last point can be corrected by purchasing a pedestal separately. A kind of stand under the stand. An interesting solution in organizing a workspace with a large monitor, massive stand and lack of space.
Developers try to solve installation problems in order to provide turnkey solutions out of the box. Some manufacturers offer advanced versions of stands to their lineup of monitors.
Legs - simplified version of the stand
This solution is rarely used in monitors, but often in televisions. In this case, there may be no adjustment as such, which means that you will have to adjust the workplace to the screen, and not vice versa.
Perhaps the only advantage of this solution is the maximum simplicity, and, therefore, the price, even when compared with simple stands.
Monitor arms for monitors
Almost any modern monitor supports alternative mounting options using Monitor arms. It is stereotypical to think that this option is only used for wall mounting. Depending on the model, a variety of surfaces can be used as the fixing point, including the ceiling, floor, table, or other furniture.
arms are made up of three main elements:
- Base for fixing to the surface.
- Moving part or fixed support. Usually a movable articulated arm is used.
- Platform for attaching to the monitor.
There are models designed specifically for tall tables and standing positions, armchairs and even beds. There are plenty to choose from.
The variety of models is no less surprising than the assortment of the monitors themselves. To choose the right arm, you need to be guided by your own needs and design compatibility with the monitor. There are both free-standing solutions with weighting materials and without additional fixation, as well as complex structures with a gas lift and an abundance of additional functions.
Among the advantages of Monitor arms:
- big choice;
- a variety of design solutions;
- increased reliability and stability of the installation;
- advanced ergonomics;
- ease of adjustment;
- the ability to create a system from several monitors;
- additional functionality;
- saving work space.
This list can be continued if we consider specific models.
For those who spend several hours a day at the screen, ergonomics are especially important. The arm creates a more comfortable viewing position, allowing you to fine-tune the position of the screen. This is to reduce stress on the eyes, back and neck . Otherwise, health problems will inevitably arise: blurred vision, headaches, fatigue, the development of spinal diseases.
Among the disadvantages of a mount for large monitors are:
- the likelihood of sagging;
- reduced service life of the moving part with frequent adjustment;
- exactingness to the materials of structural elements;
- the complexity of installation depends on the choice of model and the attachment point;
- additional requirements for the installation site.
All this is typical for mounts for compact monitors, but due to the weight of the equipment, the weaknesses of the solution appear more pronounced. It is quite logical that in this case it is impractical to save money, so you should take a closer look at professional and semi-professional models. Only in this case can you count on the convenience, reliability and durability of the components.
Additional Monitor mount Features
The design of the mount allows you to use additional options to improve the convenience of the workspace For example:
- Backlight. Used to illuminate the working area. A useful addition for working at night or in rooms with a lack of lighting.
- Built-in hub. Designed to connect and power devices.
- Mounts for multiple monitors. The ability to use a system of two or more monitors with different configurations and layouts.
- Holder for laptop, tablet, drawing board, camera and other devices.
- Pull-out keyboard and mouse stand. Popular solution for standing work. As a rule, the structure has a counterweight system.
- Wire fastening system. The most requested option.
- Remote control using the remote control.
And all this is not the limit, although more complex designs are usually used in specialized solutions or in the development of custom-made Monitor mounts and stands.
Can I replace the stand with a Monitor mount
This is almost always the case. Most monitor manufacturers provide for the replacement of the "native" stand with a Monitor mount. It is worth clarifying that this is not always possible, and some brands produce monitors with non-standard mounts, promoting their own brackets.
The use of brackets is indicated by a VESA mount. Various sizes of fasteners are used within this standard. Stand and bracket manufacturers indicate supported dimensions, and the monitor description contains model-specific parameters.
The VESA mount is more than just holes drilled in the right places to connect the arm plate to the monitor. In this case, there is a reinforced steel frame inside the case, which takes the load upon itself.
Large monitors are typically VESA 100x100mm, but there are exceptions.
The presence of a VESA mount on the monitor indicates the possibility of using a stand / bracket from third parties, provided that the dimensions (fixation points) are the same. In addition, you need to pay attention to the restrictions on the weight of monitors (without a stand). You can see the weight of the monitor in the user manual or in the product description.
Varieties of brackets
Knowing about the types and possible configurations of the structure is useful when choosing a bracket. Manufacturers strive to expand the functionality and reliability of solutions, regularly expanding the range.
Brackets are classified into groups according to the following criteria.
- The number of monitors to be installed. In addition to single brackets, there are models for two or more screens. Several single models can also be used to create a system. Why connect multiple monitors to one computer, you can read in this article .
- Place of installation. The most common options are desktop and wall-mounted. The mounting point and the available mounting options depend on the choice of the attachment point.
- Construction type. There are fixed, swivel, tilt-swivel and movable structures.
- Degrees of freedom. Expressed in the number of planes and adjustment ranges.
- Additional options.
It should also be noted that manufacturers use a variety of materials, construction solutions and fixture designs.
Pros and cons of mounting the monitor on the wall
This is the best solution for limited desk space for an ultra-wide monitor. A wall mount for large monitors has a lot in common with a TV wall mount, which is covered in a separate article . Often, such brackets are positioned just as a universal solution. Perhaps the main difference is the user's location. If the mounts for TVs require a certain distance of the viewer from the screen, then in the brackets for large monitors the calculation is based on finding the user in the immediate vicinity.
Advantages of wall mounting large diagonal monitors:
- does not take up space on the table;
- high reliability subject to the installation rules;
- you can use the monitor as a TV;
- one-stop solution for work and play;
- increased carrying capacity;
- extensive possibilities of adjusting the position of the screen in space.
It is a popular solution for installing a monitor in residential and commercial environments. In fact, it is possible to install equipment in any room.
The disadvantages of large monitor wall brackets include:
- not suitable for a multi-screen system;
- lack of mobility;
- increased requirements for the surface;
- complexity of installation;
- only suitable for a wall-mounted workplace.
The fixing assumes that the fixing point of the bracket will not change in the future. Since in this case it is necessary to drill the wall, it is not always suitable for rented premises. At the repair stage, it is advisable to worry about the close location of the outlet in order to get rid of unnecessary wires in the room.
Pros and cons of mounting on a table
For installation of a large monitor on a table, mountings are proposed on the edge of the tabletop with a clamp (side clamp) or a rack with through-eyelets. Each of these options has strengths and weaknesses, but in general, there is something in common.
Benefits of a Desktop Mounting Large Monitor.
- Enhanced adjustment of the monitor position compared to stands.
- Ease of installation. Installation does not require specialized tools or advanced skills. Of course, when choosing a through mount, an appropriate hole must be prepared in the table.
- Mobility. In the case of side clamps, the bracket can be used on other tables. In the case of the through-mount, you can move the table or reinstall the monitor on another table with a fixing hole (semi-permanent installation).
- Monitor system support. If the clamp is more often used for a vertical arrangement, then the eyelets allow you to use various combinations.
- The bracket takes up less desk space than stands.
- Ergonomics and functionality. Desktop models usually have more useful options.
- Variety of models.
Side-clip mounting is considered the most popular and practical option, but loop-through fastening on the table provides increased reliability and stability, which is especially important for large monitors.
Disadvantages of desktop mounts:
- special requirements for worktop thickness and material;
- lower load capacity compared to wall bracket;
- increased requirements for assembly quality and materials used;
- the possibility of vibration and shock transmission from the table to the monitor.
We can also mention the weighted stands, which have improved functionality and reliability over the standard stand, but still take up space on the table. In most cases, these are more affordable solutions, although there are exceptions here.
There are other ways to install large monitors. Examples include ceiling brackets and floor stands, and stands (table and floor). Such designs are not in great demand and usually refer to specialized solutions.
A large monitor implies increased demands on the quality of the mount and the materials used. When looking for a bracket or stand, carefully study the product description and read reviews from other users so as not to risk expensive equipment and your comfort. The choice of a specific model depends on the dimensions of the VESA mount, the weight of the monitor, the preferred mounting method, and the desired functionality.